From Brooke Dojny's Dishing Up Maine
12 slices good quality white sandwich bread, preferably day-old
3 - 4 tablespoons of butter
2-1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
3 thinly sliced scallions or 3 tablespoons snipped chives
2-1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with butter.
2. Cut the crust off the bread and spread slices with butter. Cut each slice into three strips. Layer half the bread in the bottom of the prepared dish and sprinkle with half the cheese and half the scallions. Repeat with the remaining bread, cheese and scallions.
3. Whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread. Cover and let stand for at least one hour or cover and refrigerate overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
5. Bake the strata, uncovered, until it is evenly puffed and golden and a knife inserted near the corner comes out clean, about 55 to 60 minutes. Sprinkle lightly with paprika and serve immediately from the dish.Continue Reading ›